Day 17 of 20 - Autumnal Equinox Series: PERMISSION TO REST

 October 27, 2020

Throughout this series, you’ve been reading about all the different things you can do to help yourself through this period of changing seasons, pandemic, and the collective anxiety felt all around the country. Now I’m here to tell you that it’s just as important to do NOTHING as it is to DO all the things. Yep - you heard that right! This is your official permission to rest and do nothing. 

Believe it or not, you ARE accomplishing something by resting. Your body, mind and spirit need time to process and recover, so when you give yourself the opportunity to have downtime outside of your regular bedtime, it might be exactly what you need to give yourself the renewed energy to keep going and actually be more productive.

I was conditioned to believe that relaxing is being lazy, and that instead of resting, something should be accomplished during that time. Naps were strongly discouraged. I have unlearned a LOT of the conditioning I grew up with, and this was a big one. It was hard (and sometimes still is) to not feel guilty when providing myself with this necessary care. Having an autoimmune condition forced me to listen to my body and rest when I need to because I learned that if I ignore this critical need, I get easily rundown and sick which means I won’t accomplish anything for even longer than if I had just taken a little bit of time for myself. This quote hits home for me in so many ways and although you might get tired of hearing it, it’s worth repeating: “If you don’t take time for your wellness, you’ll be forced to make time for your illness. 

So if you’re feeling run down, exhausted, overwhelmed, resting is just as important as anything else on your To Do list. You’re healing yourself. The body heals best when it is in a state of relaxation, which is one of the reasons Reiki makes it an integral part of the practice.

Cuddle up with a soft blanket, put your head on a cushy pillow, close your weary eyes, and relish in the reassurance of knowing that you’re doing something good for you.

Happy healing, and tune in tomorrow for another helpful tip!


No comments:

Post a Comment

THROAT CHAKRA MALA

This Throat Chakra Mala is made with 106 Sandalwood counting beads + 2 Blue Lapiz Lazuli counting beads, cedar wood Buddha guru bead, blue s...